A healthy lunch every day will give your child the energy and nutrients they need to grow, develop and learn. A healthy, balanced and nutritious packed lunch should include foods from the following four groups:
- Starchy food such as potatoes, rice, pastas: these foods provide carbohydrates to give your child energy for the afternoon;
- Fruits and vegetables: these foods provide vitamins and minerals to help protect against illness;
- Meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein: these foods provide protein, iron and zinc to help your child grow;
- Milk and dairy foods: these foods are a good source of calcium, for strong bones and teeth;
- Foods and drinks high in saturated fat, sugar (and/or salt): try to limit these types of food and drink. Too much salt and saturated fat can increase the risk of some illnesses in later life while too much sugar can damage children’s teeth.